Sadly yet again we have to report a death due to fire - we offer our condolences to the family of Mr Brear.
From the report you can read here it seems an overheated chip pan was to blame for the fire.
But it does go to prove a point - a smoke alarm only warns you of a fire, it doesnt get you safely out of a burning building.
Seems Assistant Chief Fire Officer Craig McIntosh agrees and was quoted as saying
"If you hear a smoke detector and you can't rule out the risk of fire, ring 999. In this case, it could have made a difference between life and death.”
The article from the Telegraph and Argus also reported another chip pan fire in Great Horton on the same day.